Start by having an honest conversation with the people you love. Let them know what the most important thing is for you when you think about your end of life.
- It's OK to have many emotions when thinking about this and speaking with your loved ones.
- There are many tools and resources available to help ensure the crucial topics are covered in a way that you and the people you care for are comfortable with.
- No matter your age, it is essential to have an advanced health care directive so that even if you can not speak for yourself, your health care wishes are known. Understand the reality of hospice and palliative care.
- Hospice care replaces treatment explicitly aimed at treating the illness with care that promotes maximum comfort and symptom relief. The focus of care is on both the patient and family.
- Palliative care focuses on pain and symptom management while possibly continuing cure-focused treatments.
- Hospice Foundation: Starting the Conversation
Resources to begin your conversation include:
Hospicefoundation.org "Starting the Conversation"